Highlands Hospital is committed to providing health care to the community in a competent, nurturing, and healing environment. Our staff gives support in times of crisis, and provides the resources necessary to promote a healthy lifestyle.
We promote teamwork and ethical behavior, recognizing the contributions of our employees and challenging them to achieve the highest levels of customer service, quality, and productivity.
In 1891, Cottage State Hospital was founded on the lot where Highlands Hospital now stands. A frame building with a wrap-around veranda, it was built on the corner of Cottage and Murphy Avenues. For nearly a century, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania owned and operated the facility, expanding its services to meet the demands of the growing population and booming local industries.
The original building was then replaced with a “modern” red-brick structure in 1927. This building serves as the West Wing today, housing one of the Medical-Surgical Units and both Behavorial Health Units. The structure presently referred to as the East Wing was originally built in 1953 to serve as a nurses’ residence. Today, it is home to administrative offices, accounting, human resources, education, and employee health.
In 1963, the Central Wing was built as the final addition to accommodate an expansion of services, including more in-patient rooms, a surgical suite, and a new Emergency Room. The East Wing and Central Wing were once connected by a bridge that ran from 2-East to 2-Central.
At Highlands Hospital, we are proud to host a hand-crafted archway of stained glass supported by wrought iron pillars. It symbolizes the strength of our history and the joyful celebration of life and beauty. The Connellsville Redevelopment Authority commissioned the arch as part of the Trail Towns Public Art Project in 2008, which was a commemoration of small towns along the Great Allegheny Passage. The glass is locally-manufactured at the Youghiogheny Glass Factory in Connellsville. It stands entrance to a meandering natural path that leads visitors through the serene landscape of Southwestern, PA.